Beyond the Golden Rule
- 56 page book for parents of pre-schoolers through teen years
American Academy of Pediatrics
Moms of Black Boys United
- Founder—Depelsha Thomas McGruder (Ford Foundation and previously with Viacom) started the org and MUSC (MOBB United for Social Justice) and Executive Director Vanessa McCullers (MTV, Own, NBC, etc). All around resource for supporting black boys with political action, advocacy, mental health services and more.
Raising Race Conscious Children
- NYC blogger with seminars, consultations and tips
Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ)
- Toolkits to help multigenerational families be allies and non-racists. How to support protesters and causes for social justice at home and in communities.
The Conscious Kid
- Non-profit devoted to using books, literature to discuss and confront racism. Partners with book publishers, other organizations and children’s museums.
How White Families Can Use Media to Raise Anti-Racist Kids
- Article with tips for parents of all ages, encouraging using media to initiate and maintain discussion with kids about race, stereotypes and inequities.
STAMPED: RACISM, ANTIRACISM AND YOU –book by Jason Reynolds
- Reynolds is the national ambassador for young person’s literature book for kids 12 and up.
Experts on Race, Bias and Kids
- Erlanger Turner, PhD
- “Dr. Earl”
Phone: (310) 568-5563
- Expertise: An assistant professor of psychology at Pepperdine University, Turner can speak about the psychological effects of violence and racial trauma, the perception of police bias in communities of color, and talking with children about racism
- Tovi C. Scruggs-Hussein
- Expertise: Educator, author, and award-winning urban high school principal with over 25 years of emotional intelligence training. She is in service to youth by being an expert leader in equity/racial healing, trauma-informed schools, social-emotional learning, and emotional intelligence development for educators. Provides resources and speaks on racism, tension and constructive efforts for parents, students and schools to confront and change. Upcoming workshops on racial healing, building allies, and exploring whiteness and bias.
Margaret Hagerman, PhD
- Expertise: Assistant Professor of Sociology at Mississippi State University and a Faculty Affiliate in the African American Studies Program and the Gender Studies Program. Author of White Kids: Growing Up with Privilege in a Racially Divided America. She studies how kids learn about racism, racial inequality, and racial privilege in the context of their everyday lives.
Kids & Protests and Reactions
- Seattle child maced by police at protest: https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/seattle-police-accused-of-macing-child-during-george-floyd-protest/
- Father shares remark of 8 year old child: